Sunday, April 28, 2013

Rewind to the beginning.

Two weeks ago I ran in the second race of my life. It was a 5k that I had signed up for on a whim. It was advertised at a great little unique shop down town and at my hair dressers. A friend mentioned she was going to train for it so I thought this was the perfect opportunity to work towards my goal of getting in shape and losing a few pounds. The 5k was called a "Romp" not a run or a race, a romp. How hard can a romp really be? Well, I signed up about 4 months before the romp. I had all great intentions of training for the race. Well, running outside in January doesn't work and my treadmill in my basement and I aren't the best of friends. I figured I could wait a little closer to the time to get myself romp ready. Well about 6 weeks before the race I downloaded an app to help me get on track. It was an 8 week app that I figured I could squeeze into 6 weeks. Needless to say I was out of shape and man was I hurting. I continued on for about 10 days when one morning while playing with the kids I through out my back. The possibility of being able to do the romp was looking very meek. Being able to get up off the floor was looking impossible never mind doing a romp in 4 1/2 weeks. I spent the next few days with ice, heat, hot showers and eventually I was able to walk without looking like I was 105. Doctors orders, no exercise for 2 weeks and to see my chiropractor. Having never been to a chiropractor I can tell you I was skeptical. Now I'm a true believer. He was able to work magic and my back was pain free for the first time since I had my third son a year earlier. Now that I was mobile and had the doctors approval and I was ready to resume romp training. Only problem, I was down to oh about 4 days to manage to train through my 8 week app. The odds were not in my favor. Having signed up for the romp I knew I couldn't pass it up. Honestly how do you say no to a romp? I went and picked up my packet, got my bib, shirt and tiara. I was ready to romp. They always say dress for success. I now had the gear just needed to find a body that could romp a 5k in the next 48 hours. I came to the conclusion that I was going to walk the romp. Walking a romp is much more productive then not romping at all. The night before the romp there were some nasty storms. They were forecasting miserable weather. Cold and raining just what every person wants to wake up before the crack of dawn to romp in. Some where around 3 am my husband suggested I just stay home, but I was determined. I was going to romp. I was going to romp rain or shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment